The WHGT office is at the Bothy, Aberglasney, a magical ‘lost garden’ of Wales. Sited in the Tywi valley, its gardens include Britain’s only surviving Elizabethan cloister garden and parapet walk. An ambitious programme of restoration has saved Aberglasney from neglect and abandonment. The origins of Aberglasney remain a mystery but it may have been the site of the ‘nine green gardens’ of Rhydderch described by the bard Lewis Glyn Cothi c.1470.
Garden archaeology has revealed layers of history with the earliest surviving structures from the early 1600s belonging to the house built by the Bishop of St David's, Anthony Rudd and his son Sir Rice. Later developments are by Robert Dyer of the early C18 when the lawn was raised and the house remodelled in the Queen Anne style. There is interesting planting including a wide variety of woodland plants, such as meconopsis, and orchids.
Recently an indoor garden has been created within the ruin of the courtyard, where rare tender plants are cultivated.
Today you can see just how much has changed. This garden was saved with the support of WHGT.Paul White photographed Aberglasney in 1995, (See images below and www.paulwhitephotographic.co.uk and www.welshruins.co.uk )